Bride’s Name Change through Marriage

  should-i-change-my-name Current polls suggest that there is a decline in bride’s changing their name to that of their husband once marriage takes place.

A number of brides now either retain their surname after marriage, or use the hyphenated name which includes her own, and the groom’s name.

To continue to use her own name, the bride doesn’t need to do anything.

If she wants to change her name to that of the groom she needs to contact the various organisations or services concerned. Some of the changes she will be making could include:

  1. drivers licence
  2. car registration
  3. passport
  4. bank accounts
  5. Medicare
  6. private health fund
  7. insurance policies
  8. superannuation
  9. electoral enrolment
  10. memberships
  11. store accounts

While in some cases, the wedding certificate the bride receives from the celebrant on the wedding day will be sufficient proof of her married status, there are a number of authorities which require the official wedding certificate.

This can only be acquired from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriage after the marriage is registered by the celebrant.  I will the registration process for you online and let you know when your certificate is ready this can take up to six weeks in busy periods such as March and October.

To apply for an official marriage certificate (current cost $31.00) you can do it in person at:

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages 595 Collins Street Melbourne

Phone 1300 369 367

Office hours 8 am to 4 pm Monday to Friday

Download the application form from the Victoria BDM website.  You can also apply online and have it sent to you.

If the bride wants to hyphenate her name with that of the groom, the process becomes a legal change of name.

Apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths or Marriages in the state of your birth, or find out more by seeing your solicitor.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
close-alt close collapse comment ellipsis expand gallery heart lock menu next pinned previous reply search share star